Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Week From Hell

It seems like I've been only making it on here about once a week to post. I would love to be able to get on here more and post some pictures or stories about Josh, but its just not happening. This week has been an especially tough one around here.

Last Wednesday was my first day back at work, which would have been fine if not for the fact that Emma was sick when I went back. Josh quickly followed with the sniffles and his sleep pattern started to get out of whack. He went for a weight check on Friday and it was discovered that he had an ear infection. You would think that would be the beginning of the story getting better, but it turns out to just be the beginning of the story...

We started Josh on antibiotics and Josh went from bad to worse. He wouldn't sleep for more than 30-45 minute stretches and he would cry inconsolably. We put up with this for the weekend and on Monday Jill called the doctor. He thought that we were feeding Josh too much and that was the cause of the problem. Throttle the bottles back an ounce and nothing changes.

Yesterday Jill called her sister (a pharmacist) and learned in talking to her that Josh was basically getting double dosed on antibiotic. She confronted the doctor with this and he conceded that the dose was probably a little high. Josh ate nothing but Pedialyte all day yesterday and had a decent day...until we gave him the next dose of antibiotic, coincidentally right at the end of the night. So Josh had another horrible night which meant little to no sleep for both Jill and I. Needless to say, tensions are running a little high around here.

It seems like Josh has finally gotten adjusted to his medication. The poor thing is so exhausted that all he's done is slept all day. Let's hope it continues tonight.

Hopefully sometime soon I will be back to posting some pictures of Josh, but I haven't really felt like taking pictures of a screaming child. And now you know about the fun week at the Hildwine house...

No comments: